Friday, June 1, 2012

Faces and Thoughts from Downtown

As I sit in the lounge of this lovely restaurant sipping a delightful glass of Merlot, my mind wanders to a very reflective place.  I truly enjoy sitting back, relaxing and letting my mind stroll around and visit several different topics and ideas.

The bartender here is a very friendly fellow who remembers me from a couple previous visits.  I ponder whether he remembers me because I'm that memorable or if it's because he has a great memory.

I wonder about the young couple at the nearby table.  Her face lit up like a Christmas tree when he walked into the room... are they dating?  Are they old friends from grade school?  Brother and sister?  Or perhaps cousins?  Upon closer observation I'm going with the dating theory.

A disheveled woman with long gray hair and the slow step of heavy bags and a long day walks past the window.  Is she headed to a comfy chair where she'll put her feet up, eating leftovers in front of a game show?  Or will her mood soar as she arrives at a grandchild's birthday celebration at Chuck E Cheese?

Tomorrow is a local dance performance at the theatre across the street.  I wish I was as graceful as a dancer.  Twirling, spinning, leaping.  All in rhythm, all in perfect time.  Not a smidge of clumsy awkwardness.

A couple that I know walk in and we greet each other with smiles and a friendly, "Hello!  How are you?"  Everyone is fine - life is good.

A runner passes by.  Is she training for the Bellin Run next week?  Does she enjoy it?  She looks like she does.  What motivates her to be out there on this cool day with clear skies?  Would she be there if it was 90 degrees and humid?

Small dancers are arriving at the theatre wearing lime green and pink tutus!  Oh my goodness!!  Oh, so cute!  Instant memory rewind to days of my daughters wearing leotards with glitter and little Winnie the Pooh costumes.  Thoughts shift to my soon-to-be step daughter and the importance dance played in her life.  Worn out ballerina shoes, trophies and pictures of a smiling teen as she danced her way into adulthood.

I enjoy observing the faces and letting my thoughts wander from downtown.  I'm moving to another town soon where I will have to find a new window to peer through.   



1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, Patti! Congratulations on your recent marriage, and your move to Florida. I know we haven't seen much of each other this past year, but you will always be a friend to us and we will miss you.

    Have a safe trip and keep in touch! :) Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete