Sunday, June 24, 2012

Holding It All Together

"Make new friends, but keep the old."  I can still hear the tune in my head every time I hear the words from a song I learned as a school girl in Ohio.

I have been very blessed over the years with wonderful friendships.  Some were centered around very specific interests...mission trips, running, working together on a community event or in the same industry.  Some friendships were not as specifically oriented and included football games, strolling the farmers market, long walks in deep conversation, a delicious meal, cup of coffee or glass of wine.

I am moving to Florida in a couple weeks and will miss my Wisconsin friends immensely.  I remember 30 years ago as I moved to Green Bay my father's words of wisdom as he suggested getting involved at church as he and my mother had always met good friends at church.  This certainly held true for me as well over the years having met many of my closest friends there.

When I think about my friendships they all include laughter.  In fact, as far back as I can remember having friends, I can remember laughing with them.  I ponder the thought that laughter is actually a form of glue.

Laughter among friends may be the glue that holds this world together.

No comments:

Post a Comment