Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Calming the Storm

Shortly after we moved to Florida the news was abuzz about Hurricane Issac. We watched with interest as they predicted Issac to hit land about 60 miles to our east, however as the storm closed in the trajectory changed to hit just west of us. According to the experts our area would be in for some nasty weather.



Being a first timer, I researched hurricanes so I'd know what to expect and we assembled all the suggested supplies - bottled water, batteries, flashlights, candles, canned food, to name a few. We stored our lawn furniture in the garage and we hung the protective coverings over our windows. The storm was predicted to hit land on Tuesday in the late afternoon and we were ready.

After Harry left for work I turned on the news for updates on the storm and was naively surprised at the accompanying report of tornado activity as well, which actually put me more on edge than the hurricane.  As the day progressed I became more and more uncomfortable  and even a little bit scared as Harry was 45 minutes away and would have to drive home on a route where tornado activity was amiss.

I sat there and started chatting with God about this whole situation.  After all, he calmed the storm for the frightened Disciples as their boat tossed in the violent sea so why couldn't he do that for me as well?

At that point it occurred to me... did he really calm the physical sea itself or did he calm their sea of fear and therefore their perception of danger? 

I don't know that I'll ever have the answer to that question because this is what played out over the next 24 hours.
First, I was calm after praying and I regained my sense of comfort that all would be well. Secondly, we hardly had any wind or rain hit our area at all.  We've had more action on a typical "rainy" day.  You see, as I watched the storm cross over, we were always the area between the bands of the active storm.  It hit to our east and to our west but we were always in the quiet place.                

No comments:

Post a Comment