Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Business of Life



The sign proudly stated they've been cooking up 23 varieties for over 50 years and I decided if they've been flipping hotcakes for that long they must know what they're doing so in I went. 

It was a busy pancake house. The staff was hustling and bustling about serving up the best sweet potato pancakes I've ever tasted. The only ones tastier are those cooked on weekend mornings by my husband, but its not fair to compare the two  because he puts an extra dose of love into the pancakes he makes for me. 

I sat down and the cheery waitress was quick to bring me coffee and take my order. Yes, she definitely thought the sweet potato pancakes were an excellent choice so after her enthusiastic endorsement that's what I ordered. 

The two young mothers next to me hurriedly gathered their things as one of their infants protested at the top of his lungs. Based on his age and loud bellowing it was clear to me he wasn't old enough to eat pancakes and thus was not  happy and content like his older sister.   I'm sure calming him was his mother's highest priority as she hurried out the door. 

The tables behind me were pushed together with two families crowded around. The  dads were chuckling as they tried to convince their young children to come to work with them. Surprisingly the youngsters didn't jump at their father's offer for them to sit quietly at his office for four hours while he worked.  Upon asking his wife for the guest check she quietly informed him his brother insisted on picking up the tab today. 

The clientele was a great mix of college students, adults and families an indication of the large medical facility located nearby on campus.   I whispered a quick prayer that none of the people were here because a loved one was seriously ill across the street.   I scanned the crowd and saw no such traces on their faces. 

There were discussions of calories, dogs, changes in lifestyle per the doctor's orders,  investments and finances.   Various opinions on matters of the world. 

Life was in full swing at this pancake shop.  This is what people do each day...they go about the business of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment