Thursday, October 31, 2013

One of these things is not like the others

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things, doesn't belong....the tune from the old Sesame Street song danced through my head. 

In the Amsterdam airport last month, I had walked in and sat down in the Irish Pub for a burger. I noticed it was very similar to Irish pubs and burger joints I'd been in before, but this felt different. It was palpable.  I noticed it right away.   I was the only woman patron in the place.

The woodwork was deep mahogany and the music played quite loudly. There was a lingering smell of foreign cigarette smoke in the place, even though there was a separate smoking area through a stained glass door dully marked, and the conversation was interspersed with the deep tones of guys laughing about guy stuff. 

As I sat at the table in front of the stained glass window withvthe sunshining in, I'm certain that my gayly colored yellow blouse screamed "IT'S A GIRL!"  Although at 50+ I hardly feel like a girl any longer. 

I noticed another woman walk in, look around and leave. 

Finally a gal walked in and found a spot at the bar.  She either hadn't noticed yet or was much braver than others.  I had actually selected the table by the window so I could sit and observe everyone else. Not a bold move, but perhaps some would consider it daring. 

There was a fair amount of traffic through the smoker's door. I don't think they were here for the burgers, instead they were here for a power that was tough to resist in an otherwise smoke free environment within the airport. 

I ordered at the bar. Other than that the waitstaff acted like I had leprosy. Interesting. The man who ordered after me finished his meal and left which cued me to inquire about the whereabouts of my burger. Apparently the waitress hadn't rung it in, it was shift change and  alas no burger.   Good thing I have time to kill before my flight. 

More women appeared.  And stayed. Perhaps they figured if an old lady in a yellow blouse was okay here, they were too. 

Sometimes that's how life is. We just need someone else to go first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment