Tuesday, November 10, 2015

IN IT FOR A LIFETIME



 circa 2005
On this day in 2006, feeling terrific after a 50 pound weight loss, I hit "Lifetime" status at Weight Watchers.  It felt terrific!  Here we are 9 years later and I'm close to that mark...only 5 pounds over it.
It was important to me as I lost weight to think of it as a LIFESTYLE change - not a diet - and as I sit here now, I can say that it truly was.  My food choices are most often healthy and I get exercise on a regular basis.

As I made small changes one at a time, I'd ask myself, "Patti, is this something you can continue doing (most days) for the rest of your life?"  If the answer was yes, I made the change.  If not, I didn't.


Thinking back the biggest changes were:
  • I cut out soda and replaced it with water.  (Both regular and diet soda. I used to drink a lot of diet soda.)
  • I eliminated most processed foods.
  • I now eat mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, low fat/fat free dairy, whole grains.
  • I move more.  I didn't used to get much exercise, now the minimum I do is a 30 minute walk.  Many days I run, ride bike, or go to the gym. My goal is 30 minutes/day for MOST days.
My regimen isn't perfect, that's for certain, but I listen to my body and I feel good.

I guess it boils down to what you do MOST days because I'm in this for a lifetime.  


No comments:

Post a Comment