Friday, March 9, 2012

A Familiar Freedom

As I walked down a well-known stretch of sidewalk with the sun on my face and a gentle breeze blowing my hair, I was suddenly transported back in time.  Déjà vu if you will.  Not quite... but almost.  It reminded me of a time a few years ago when I was feeling a tremendous sense of freedom.  The kind of freedom felt when the metaphorical weight is lifted from the shoulders.

It made me realize that much of the weight I carry on my shoulders is self-imposed.  I take it on.  I make the decision to carry the load and put the pressure on myself.

Therefore the decision to not let it weigh me down must also be mine.  Not in the way of shirking responsibilities or not caring, but in the sense of sharing the load, being selective in what I decide to carry and giving some things over completely.

As I do quite often, I was chatting with God, and decided there are certain heavy things in my life these days that I need to hand over to God to carry.  As expected I immediately felt relief as the load was lifted.  I found myself asking why I hesitate to ask for help, why I hesitate to hand it over.  Why do I always wait until I'm in pain?  

My step was much lighter and the walk more enjoyable when the familiar freedom returned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment