Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Brightly Colored Umbrellas

It's rainy season in the Sunshine State of Florida.

Let me translate that for you.  The sun is shining through the window and suddenly there is a pounding noise on the roof and on the sidewalks and sure enough... it's raining.  A dark cloud has snuck up from the other side of the house and brought a downpour with it.  The rain will last all of three minutes and then it stops as the cloud moves on to dump the rest of its wetness on others in its path followed by the reemergence of the sun.

I certainly understand the concept that the rain has to "begin" and "end" somewhere and while driving in the past I've encountered suddenly entering or exiting a rainy area.  (Which always feels slightly bizarre.)  However, I believe what Harry experienced the other day probably takes the cake in that arena.  He was driving down the road and rain was falling on the oncoming traffic, but not on him... just a few feet away.
What I call "The Deluge"

The other type of rain I've observed here in Florida is what I'll call the "deluge" rain.  This particular day it was cloudy and overcast most of the day and then the thunder and lightning started just prior to about a 30 minute GUSH pouring from the skies.  The backyard turned into a river and the trees across the street were tossing to and fro.  It was definitely picture worthy so I grabbed my trusty iPhone and snapped a few for your viewing pleasure.  

When it rains I like to go out on the porch and breathe in the freshness.  There is something so cleansing about rain.  I have also noticed that many people carry umbrellas with them as they protect from the hot sun as well as the rainstorms.  (And are cooler than rain jackets.)



I do believe that life is a lot like the summer rains in Florida and for that reason I have decided to only walk down streets covered with brightly colored umbrellas that offer protection from the elements that can dampen our outlook on life.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment