Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Inconvenience of Distance

Harry is working on the west coast this week and when he called me this evening he was headed out for a walk on the beach after work.  These pictures are not from tonight, they are ones he sent me awhile ago when he was there for an assignment but I thought I'd set the mood in case your imagination isn't as vivid as mine.

I was on the elliptical in our basement when he called, and I continued to "elliptical" while we chatted, but if you could see the images he painted for me you'd have thought I was on the west coast walking beside him.  It was about 40 degrees, no wind, the sun had just set and the sky was rosy.  We were taking a long staircase from the neighboring hotel down to the wide, sandy beach.  There were a couple fishing boats (slightly larger than lobster boats) out a bit from the shore.  Up ahead a dog (about the size of Oscar or Sam) was running and playing on the beach.  The flat, hard sand was great to run or walk on and the waves were crashing.

We chatted and shared the happenings of our day as we walked together along the beach for the next hour... separated only by the inconvenience of distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment