Thursday, December 29, 2011

Long Threads of Witty Banter

It happens most often just prior to a gathering of our extended family.  Someone will start an email with information or questions about the upcoming event and send it to everyone involved that has an email address.  That's when the fun starts!

The emails fly back and forth across state and country lines, stretching to far away loved ones poking fun, teasing and occasionally threatening to take it to a higher authority.  (As the only girl with three brothers I get to pull the, "I'm telling MOM card" whenever I've gotten myself in too deep.)

Newcomers to the family after observing a few volleys back and forth react first with a little bit of fear thinking, "Holy Crap!  What have I gotten myself involved with?".  That feeling is soon followed by stepping in tentatively at first perhaps with a small comment, followed by leaping into the witty banter as though they are jumping off the high dive.  (ie:  feet first with nose plugged)  Of course once you've made that jump you are now considered fair game for the jabs as well.

We are celebrating our family Christmas on Saturday at my brother's house and needless to say this has been a great week filling cyber space with frivolous joshing and persiflage.  And oh yeah...watch out boys, because I am telling mom what you said and you are going to be in so much trouble!

1 comment: