Friday, December 30, 2011

It's all been downhill

I have been skiing since I was 12 years old.  I have so many good memories of gliding down the hill on a crisp, cold day.  Memories of skiing with my brothers, different groups of youth group friends, of teaching our kids to ski and then skiing with them as they grew older and now I get to add memories of skiing with Harry to that list.  


 Snapshots from over the years...

  • Skiing over the snowbank into the parking lot until I learned to stop
  • Not wearing my good ski jacket skiing to the local hill because it would get ruined from the rope tow
  • Singing songs from the chair lift
  • New bright orange skis for Christmas
  • Blue streaks all over the hill from brand new blue jeans 
  • Blue long johns caused by previous entry
  • Getting off the lift with both poles bent in 90 degree angles
  • Standing next to my 16 yr old big brother crying after he broke his leg.  His response?  "Why are YOU crying..I'm the one who broke my leg!"
  • Dad driving us out to Kettlebowl and coming back to pick us up a few hours later
  • Mike and I pulling each other behind the snowmobile on skis
  • Staying at Wills cottage with the cold air whisking across the frozen lake and straight up the outhouse to our freezing butts perched on the cold opening
  • 5 yr old Lindsay crying not from the high chair lift - but because her hands were cold.
  • 4 yr old Kari running into the side of the ski patrol building
  • Erich & Lindsay learning to ski by making french fries and pizza with their skis
  • Lindsay skiing off the trail and into the woods by accident
  • The momma bear in me yelling at a high school girl as she ran over little Kari on the slope
  • Telling my kids they must always be IN CONTROL
  • Erich skiing down with only one speed - FAST!
  • Looking in the fluffy Colorado snow for Kari's (?) Lindsay's (?) lost pole with the entire family on the verge of a good mood meltdown
  • Being exhausted from getting my kids all bundled and buckled 
  • The joyous day when the kids could help carry all their own gear
  • Always being the last one down the hill so I could stop if one of the kids fell
  • The pleasure of discovering Harry and I are very compatible skiers

It's been a great sport.  And laughter - it always includes laughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment