Thursday, January 12, 2012

To Bulgaria and Back

I had lunch today with one of my favorite teenagers.  Mallory and I have literally travelled around the world together.  To Bulgaria and back.  Twice in fact.  We danced authentic Bulgarian dances together,  we took a bo-jillion silly pictures of us on airplanes together, we chased around the Detroit airport looking for clues in a scavenger hunt together (fun story for another day), we tested (and I bought) hula hoops together, she came cruising over to show me her slippery teeth the day her braces came off, we sold booyah, cookies and hamburgers together, cried a few times together and most certainly laughed a lot together.
 
Mallory helped fill a space in me that felt empty after my own two daughters left for college and for that I will always be thankful.

She left a few months ago for that place they call college, as a lovely young lady with much on her mind and I believe holding  questions in her heart as to just exactly how she fits into this huge world.  What I saw at lunch today was a lovely, confident young lady who is enjoying the journey of finding her way.

She's going to be fine.  Just fine. (As long as she can get her mashed potatoes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment