Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Filled w/Thanks = Filled w/Joy: Day 20

I am thankful for a powerful IMAGINATION
Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more 
powerful in the mature than in the young.  ~W. Somerset Maugham

What is imagination?  Look down that road and tell me what you DON'T see.  THAT is imagination.

Bits and pieces had been sloshing around in my head letting my imagination take flight and by Thursday afternoon I conjured up the scenario that my daughter was in cahoots with my husband to come for a surprise visit.  I have a wonderful imagination and the ability to "see" things that aren't really there when it comes to putting together something fun like a surprise.  Also keep in mind that my husband is GREAT at both surprises and secrets and my youngest daughter has a really tough time keeping a surprise secret.

So after Weight Watchers on Thursday, I was telling my friend Sharon that based on a few texts that were probably merely fun and silly banter with my daughter, I was really hoping that when I got home from the meeting that she would be at my house.  After all, she had asked what we were having for lunch on Friday AND Harry had a meeting until 6 (which is very rare) and the text he just sent said he was leaving "the building" (emphasis mine not his).  You see Harry would never lie, not even for a surprise, so therefore leaving "the building" is not the same as leaving work because he never uses that term.  Clearly in my wonderful, imaginative and happy world, something was brewing and "the building" he was leaving was the airport!

Sharon and I laughed and both excitedly agreed that it would be great fun if my imagination was spot on.  We also concurred that it was smart not to get my hopes up too high lest I be setting myself up for a big disappointment.

When I arrived home and came in the house I casually looked around waiting for a "SURPRISE" that wasn't there.  That darn imagination!

So I kept my chin up, smiled and said, "How do hamburgers on the grill sound for dinner?"  

Did you happen to miss Day 19? Click here to read a short story about surprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment